Recap of September 12 Board of Supervisors Meeting
September 12 Meeting Recap
Board of Supervisors Moving Forward with the Middle Road/Jefferson Park Road Roundabout
On December 22, 2022, Prince George County was awarded a FY2023 Federal directed spending item of $3,540,806 for a roundabout at Jefferson Park Road / Middle Road submitted by the late Congressman Donald McEachin. On September 12, 2023, the revised VDOT estimate for the project had increased due to inflationary pricing and requires a local contribution to complete the project before the 2026 federal project obligation deadline. The estimated gap by VDOT is $3.1 million. The County has applied for VDOT RSTP funding ($1M) - vote on October 12 at Crater MPO meeting. The County has also applied for VDOT Revenue Sharing funds (Sept 26 resolution) to be determined in the Spring 2024 (no amount known at this time).
Following a discussion with the Virginia Department of Transportation, the Board voted unanimously to accept federal funding for the project, provide its share of the total cost for preliminary engineering, right-of-way and construction of the project, and authorize the County Administrator to enter into any and all agreements and documents necessary for the completion of the project.
· Approved on consent to authorize the Police Department to complete and submit a grant application to the Department of Justice for JAG Grant funding in the amount of $15,063.
· Approved on consent an appropriation in the amount of $50,000 of Federal Local Assistance and Tribal Consistency Funds.
· Received a roads maintenance report from the Virginia Department of Transportation.
· Unanimously adopted Land Use Rates – three-year average option.
· Unanimously approved an award of contract and authorization to purchase wireless headsets and related equipment for Fire & EMS in an amount not to exceed $89,783.90.
· Unanimously approved an appropriation in the amount of $699,439.97 of unexpended FY2022-23 Budgets for grants and donations.
· Unanimously approved an award of contract for Phase 1 – preparation of Department/Agency Strategic Plans in the amount of $99,950 starting with Fire/EMS, Parks & Recreation, and Human Resources.
· Unanimously approved an authority to advertise a public hearing on October 10, 2023 for an Ordinance to amend the Prince George County Code to add a section for “Employee Bonuses” to allow for employee bonuses when included in the annual budget or State budget.
· Unanimously appointed Mr. David W. Clements to the Crater Planning District Commission for an interim term.
· Unanimously appointed Mr. Steve McDonough to the Crater Planning District Commission Executive Committee.
· Unanimously appointed Mr. James H. Clements to Virginia’s Gateway Region Board for an interim term.
· Unanimously appointed the Chief of Police to the John Tyler Alcohol Safety Action Program for a three-year term.
· Unanimously appointed Ms. Clarice M. Wesley to the Social Services Advisory Board.
· Held a public hearing and unanimously voted to transfer to and expenditures from Countywide-Capital Improvement Project (CIP) fund in the amount of $2,180,863.23 for Prince George High School HVAC project.
· Held a public hearing and unanimously approved a rezoning request of It’s His Land, LLC to rezone 14.8 acres from Residential Agricultural (R-A) Zoning District to General Business (B-1) Zoning District at West Quaker Road and Route 156.
· Held a public hearing and unanimously approved a Special Exception Request of It’s His Land LLC to develop a mini-storage facility including RV/boat storage and small office-warehouse units at West Quaker Road and Route 156.
· Held a public hearing and unanimously approved a rezoning request of George C. and Susan R. Bishop to rezone approximately 2.5 acres from Residential Agricultural (R-A) Zoning District to General Business (B-1) Zoning District at 8801 County Drive.
· Held a public hearing and approved by a 3-2 vote (with Mr. Webb and Mr. Carmichael in opposition) a Special Exception to permit a special care hospital within a General Business (B-1) Zoning District for ArroWood Addition Treatment Center LLC adjacent to Brighter Living Assisted Living.