Fire & EMS
For all emergencies, please dial 911.
For all non-emergency calls: (804)-733-2770
Prince George Local Weather
Prepare your home for winter weather.
- Make sure your home is properly insulated
- Check the weather stripping around your windows and doors
- Learn how to shut off water valves in case a pipe bursts o Have additional heat sources on hand in case of a power outages
- Keep a fire extinguisher accessible
- Replace the batteries in your Carbon Monoxide detector annually
- And along with that we encourage everybody to follow the safety guidelines when utilizing generators or kerosene heaters.
We also can’t ignore the safety risks that come with clearing snow.
Overexertion during snow shoveling activities can bring on a heart attack which believe it or not is a major cause of death in the winter.
Watch for signs of frostbite, watch for signs of hypothermia.
Please heed warnings to avoid travel. If you absolutely have to be on the roadway, prepare your vehicle and have a kit for you and your passengers. This could include items such as:
- Drinking water and snacks for everyone in the car, including pets
- Basic first-aid kit
- Warm coat and insulating layers (sweatpants, gloves, hat, socks,)
- Rags, paper towels or pre-moistened wipes
- Basic set of tools
- Car emergency warning devices such as road flares or reflectors
- Ice scraper/snow brush
- Jumper cables/jump pack
- Fire extinguisher
- Items for children such as diapers, baby wipes, toys, etc.
- Flashlight, with extra batteries
- Hand warmers
- Paper map
- Portable smartphone power bank
- Extra medication
- Garbage bags
- Traction aid such as sand, salt or non-clumping cat litter
- Tarp, raincoat and gloves
If you must travel during the storm, please take these safety tips into consideration:
- Know Before You Go! Before heading out, check Virginia road conditions at www.511virginia.org or download the VDOT 511 app. Do not call 911 or #77 for road conditions. Please leave these emergency lines open for emergencies only.
- Clear ALL snow and ice from the roof, trunk, hood and windows of your vehicle - car, SUV, minivan, pickup truck, commercial vehicle - before you travel.
- Use your headlights - in rain and snow. Virginia law requires headlights on when your wipers are active.
- Drive for conditions - slow your speed and increase your traveling distance between the vehicle ahead of you.
Prince George County has 30 full-time and 16 part-time career personnel who take pride in helping others. In addition, there are five Volunteer Fire Companies with seven stations, one volunteer Emergency Crew, and an Administrative Office. The men and women who make up the organization work hand-in-hand with several other agencies to make Prince George a safe place to live, learn, work, and raise a family.
Provide Fire Suppression, Emergency Medical Services, Fire Safety and Public Education, Emergency Management, Hazardous Materials Response, and Technical Rescue.
With a population of over 36,500, Prince George County spans over 282 square miles of suburban and rural terrain. Located next to Hopewell, Petersburg, Colonial Heights, Fort Lee, the Counties of Sussex and Surry, the James River, and the Appomattox River, the responders experience a diverse range of emergency calls. Each year, Prince George Fire, EMS, and Emergency Management responders answer over 4000 calls for service in and around these areas.
To be foremost in public safety.
To provide quality services through the dedication of our people.
Honor- we believe in honesty, fairness, and integrity.
Respect- we will embrace the diversity of others and be courteous.
Accountability- we will hold ourselves and all organization members responsible for our actions.
Integrity- we will conduct ourselves in a manner that will not bring discredit to the organization.
Trust- we will earn the trust of each other, and to all we serve by fulfilling our obligations.
Compassion- we will be understanding to other's feelings, needs, and concerns and strive to alleviate others' distress.
Quality Customer Service- we will do everything in our ability to meet the needs of and accommodate the citizens, patrons, and visitors of Prince George County.
County Vision Statement
Prince George County....A global community where families thrive and businesses prosper.
"Neighbors Helping Neighbors"