Railroad Blockage Reporting

Railroad Blockage Reporting

How to Report a Blocked Train Crossing

1.  Contact the Norfolk Southern Railway using the toll-free number on the blue sign that is posted at the crossing. Each crossing has its own unique  number. Make sure that you include details like the date, time, and duration of the blockage.

Blue Report a Problem or Emergency Sign. The bottom of the sign reads Norfolk Southern Railroad.
2.  Report the blocked crossing to the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) using their online incident reporter: fra.dot.gov/blockedcrossings. Residents need to report the blocked train crossing to the FRA within seven days. Report it with your smartphone while stopped at the crossing or online within one week of the incident.

3.  File a Railroad Blocked Crossing / Incident Report with the Virginia State Corporation Commission: scc.virginia.gov.

Want to be emailed when this page is updated?

Sign Up Now