Recap of July 11, 2023 Board of Supervisors Meeting
July 11 Meeting Recap
Board Approves Rezoning and Special Exception for Meadery
in Prince George County
At its July 11 meeting, the Prince George County Board of Supervisors held two public hearings and approved by unanimous vote (with Mr. Carmichael absent) to allow for a rezoning from General Industrial (M-2) to General Business (B-1) and a Special Exception, to allow the applicant to open and operate a mead production facility and tasting room with a snack bar. The applicant has also shown plans for outdoor seating areas and a small stage for outdoor entertainment. This would provide residents and the surrounding community with an additional recreational amenity. The subject property is located at 5108 Prince George Drive and is identified as Tax Map 240(16(00-002-0. A meadery is a winery or brewery that produces honey wines or meads and sells them commercially.
Other matters that came before the Board at its meeting:
· Received a broadband update.
· Held a discussion regarding stormwater.
· Approved on consent and presented a commendation to Tamie Perryman for her service to Prince George County.
· Approved on consent and presented a commendation to John Kuykendall for his service to Prince George County.
· Approved on consent an appropriation in the amount of $30,919 for State Department of Social Services Local Overtime Surge Funds Medicaid Unwinding.
· Approved on consent for the Police Department to apply for $12,500 of Virginia State Police, Help Eliminate Auto Theft (HEAT) Funds.
· Received a roads maintenance report from the Virginia Department of Transportation.
· Unanimously appointed Ms. Jean Hill-Atkins to the Appomattox Regional Library Board.
· Unanimously appointed Ms. Andrea Erard as the County Attorney retroactive to July 1, 2023.
· Unanimously approved a request of Hopewell Parks and Recreation for waiver of permit fees associated with a joint fireworks display in the Appomattox River, Identified as Tax Map 220(03)00-00d-1.
· Unanimously approved a resolution accepting easements for the Waterline Extension to the Route 10 Corridor Project.
· Unanimously approved an award of contract and authorization to purchase In Building Solution for enhanced ratio coverage at J.E.J. Moore Middle School and Station 7 to Mobile Communications of America not to exceed $78,703.29.
· Unanimously approved an award of contract for the purchase of GrayKey Mobile Forensics System, related equipment and training to Panamerica Computers, Inc. not to exceed $120,405.28.
· Unanimously approved an award of contract to Asset Works for the purchase of Fuel Focus not to exceed $402,282.44.
· Unanimously approved an award of contract to Furniture & Interiors by The Supply Room for the purchase of Circuit Courtroom furniture not to exceed $91,303.53.
· Unanimously appointed Robert Baldwin as the Zoning Administrator for the County of Prince George effective July 17, 2023.
· Held a public hearing and unanimously authorized the sale of the County owned properties located in River’s Edge Subdivision on Buxton Street.