General Information

General Information

General Information

To apply for assistance you must complete an application and either mail it to Prince George County Social Services or deliver it to the office during regular business hours.  Applications are available for download online from the Virginia Department of Social Services (see the links below) or can be picked up at the office.

Virginia Department of Social Services Applications for Benefits

General Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible for most programs, applicants must:

  • Live in Virginia;
  • Be a U.S. citizen or meet certain requirements if you are an immigrant;
  • Apply at the agency that serves the city or county where you live;
  • Meet specific requirements of each program for which you are applying.

Before it can be determined whether or not you are eligible, some of the information you give must be verified.  To see a list of items that can be used for verification, go to

Certain programs require an interview.

Benefit Amounts

Depending on the program, eligibility and the amount of benefits will be based on:

  • Your income;
  • The number of people in the unit;
  • Your resources; and
  • Certain household expenses.

You will be notified in writing as soon as a decision about your application has been made.  This notice will tell you if you are eligible, and what your benefits will be if you are eligible.

If you are applying for financial or medical assistance, you must apply for any other benefits that you may be entitled to receive, such as Social Security, Worker's Compensation, unemployment compensation, Veteran's Benefits, or retirement pensions.

Time Standards

Action must generally be taken on applications within:

  • 45 days of application for medical assistance;
  • 30 days of application for TANF;
  • 30 days normal processing for food stamps assistance (SNAP)  and 7 days for expedited applications.

In accordance with the Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, political beliefs, or disability. 

To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272 (voice) or (202) 720-6382 (TTY). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

Want to be emailed when this page is updated?

Sign Up Now