Open Burn Regulations
Rules for Any Type of Open Burning
- Fires must be constantly attended until extinguished and no longer smoldering.
- Attendees must provide adequate fire extinguishing equipment to control the fire.
- The Virginia Division of Forestry requires the following:
The Virginia Department of Forestry requires that any open burning from February 15 through April 30 of each year, within 300 feet of woodland, brushland, or field containing dry grass or other combustible material leading to woodland, be done between the hours of 4:00 p.m. and 12:00 midnight.
Open burning/permitted burning does not excuse you from consequences associated with damages or injuries. All laws, ordinances, regulations must be complied with according to federal government, Commonwealth of Virginia and/or Prince George County.
- Building and/or demolition material
- Household/commercial trash or refuse
- Paper, used lumber or trade waste
- Rubber tires, asphaltic material, crankcase oil, or impregnated wood
- Toxic or hazardous materials or containers for such materials