Recording a Trade Name or General Partnership

General Partnerships and trade names must be recorded with the Clerk of Circuit Court. There is a one-time $10.00 fee required.

Questions: Contact Clerk of Circuit Court at (804) 733-2640 or on the web at

Register a Corporation or Limited Partnership

All corporations (foreign and domestic) and limited partnerships conducting business in Virginia must register with the Virginia State Corporation Commission. To become incorporated in Virginia, an organization must file trade names, DBA’s, articles of incorporation and amendments with the SCC.

State Corporation Commission
P.O. Box 1197
Richmond, VA 23209
(804) 371-8511

State Contractors License
All contractors who bid upon or undertake single jobs of $1,000 or more must register with the State Board of Contractors

Class A - $120,000 or more
Class B - $10,000 - $119,999
Class C - $1,000 - $9,999

Board of Contractors
3600 West Broad Street
Richmond, VA 23230

Testing: PSI Examination Services (800) 733-9267

Alcoholic Beverage License

Central Office (804) 213-4565

Richmond Office
2901 Hermitage Road
Richmond, VA 23220

(804) 213-4620

Mailing address:
P.O. Box 27491
Richmond, VA 23261-749

Department of Health

Crater Health District Headquarters
301 Halifax Street
Petersburg, VA 23803

(804) 863-1652

Prince George Health Department
6450 Administration Drive
Prince George, VA 23875

(804) 733-2630

Federal Taxes

For general tax information or questions regarding:

  • Federal Employee Identification Number
  • Employee Income Taxes
  • Individual, Partnership, and Corporate Income Tax
  • Federal Unemployment Tax

Call (800) 829-1040

Web site for Federal Forms:

Virginia Taxes

For general tax information call (804) 367-8031
For retail sales tax information call (804)367-8037

Web site for State Forms:

Workers' Compensation

Workers' Compensation Commission
1000 DMV Drive
Richmond, VA 23220
(877) 664-2566

Web Site for Contractor's Certification of Insuring Liability for Workers' Compensation in Virginia: (Form 61A)

Virginia Employment Tax

Virginia Employment Commission
Tri-Cities Office
5240 Oaklawn Boulevard
Hopewell, VA 23860
(804) 541-6548