Recap of November 9 Board of Supervisors Meeting
November 9 Meeting Recap
Prince George County Board of Supervisors Receives a Report from the Crater Regional Development Workforce Board
At its November 9 Work Session, the Board received a report from the Executive Director of the Crater Regional Development Workforce Board, Tabitha Taylor. She gave an update on the positive progress of the organization. The Crater Regional Workforce Development Board creates and sustains powerful connections between businesses and job seekers through Virginia Career Works, a statewide network of employment professionals through federal funding from the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA).
This regional Board is one of 14 workforce boards throughout Virginia servicing the counties and cities of Colonial Heights, Dinwiddie, Emporia, Greensville, Hopewell, Petersburg, Prince George, Surry and Sussex. They have recently relocated to Prince George County at the Crossings and increased business and community outreach by 78% just in the last 6 months. Prince George County Board of Supervisors Member Floyd M. Brown, Jr. has been appointed the Crater Workforce Consortium of Chief Elected Officials (CLEO) Chairman and will step into that role in January, 2023.
Other matters that came before the Board at its meeting:
· Received a report from the Crater Workforce Board.
· Received a report on BoardDocs, an electronic agenda platform.
· Approved on consent and presented a commendation to Gabriel Bearl Jenkins for his attainment of Eagle Scout Award.
· Approved on consent an appropriation in the amount of $20,061.79 for the Southside Programs for Adult Continuing Education.
· Approved on consent an appropriation in the amount of $7,008.42 for Sheriff’s Vehicle.
· Approved on consent an appropriation of $72,140.82 for Opioid Settlement Funds.
· Received a roads maintenance report from VDOT.
· Approved a County-Wide Room Rental Policy on a 3-1 vote with Mr. Brown abstaining and Mr. Carmichael absent.
· Unanimously approved a resolution in support of Hopewell SmartScale Project.
· Unanimously authorized the Assessor to complete and submit a grant application to the Virginia Department of Forestry for Forest Sustainability Funds.
· Unanimously authorized the advertisement of a Public Hearing on November 22 for eminent domain for utility easement.
· Unanimously authorized an appropriation in the amount of $29,703.00 for Riverside Criminal Justice Agency DCJS Community Corrections grant increase.
· Unanimously reappointed Mr. Sterling M. Hunt, Sr. and Mr. Pete Washington to the Economic Development Authority.
· Unanimously approved a contract to J. King Deshazo, III, Inc. for Roof Replacement in the amount of $25,413.93 and Dominion Lock and Security, Inc. for Swipe Entry System Installation in the amount of $14,322.15 at Jefferson Park Fire Station and a budget transfer for Series 2019 Repurposed Bond Proceeds in the amount of $39,736.08.
· Unanimously accepted a Permanent Easement and Right of Way for the County of Prince George and the City of Petersburg.
· Unanimously authorized the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney to complete a grant application to the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services for a Regional full-time Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney.
· Unanimously approved a change to the FY 2022-2023 Position Chart for conversion of Coordinator I - Grounds Maintenance and Tourism to Grounds Maintenance and Tourism Supervisor with and FY 2022-2023 budget transfer from Tourism Contingency in the amount of $8,291.
· Held a public hearing and unanimously approved the sale of property to Wallermann, LLC.