Recap of September 27 BOS Meeting
September 27 Meeting Recap
Board of Supervisors Have a Ribbon Cutting for the New Disc Golf Course at Scott Park
At its 6:00 pm work session on September 27, the Prince George County Board of Supervisors held a Grand Opening of “Pine Valley at Scott Park” an 18-hole disc golf course located at 6000 Scott Memorial Park Road, Prince George, VA 23875, next to the outfield of Ballfield #2. After Chair Waymack and Parks and Recreation Director Keith Rotzoll said a few words, the Board of Supervisors cut the ribbon officially opening the park to the public. Mr. Rotzoll gave a big thanks to Richard Scott and Jay Risher, both of whom volunteered countless hours designing and developing the course.
For those unfamiliar with the sport, disc golf is played much like golf. Instead of a ball and clubs, players use a flying disc on the course. The sport was formalized in 1970’s, and shares with golf, the object of completing each hole in the fewest strokes (or in the case of disc golf, fewest throws). The course has both long and short wooded and open holes. There is a mix of dog legs, left and rights with some tricky shot shapes. The course is free and open to the public. Participants must supply their own equipment.
Other matters that came before the Board at its meeting:
· Approved on consent the donation of Progard Vehicle Partition for a 2014 Chevrolet Tahoe to the City of Staunton Sheriff’s Office.
· Approved on consent the suspension of Section 6A of the Prince George County Board of Supervisors By-Laws for the October 11, 2022 Board Meeting.
· Approved the September 13, 2022 Board of Supervisors Minutes on a four to one vote with Mr. Brown abstaining because he was absent at that meeting.
· Received the preliminary quarterly financial report.
· Unanimously approved an award of contract and budget transfer in the amount of $189,050 with $111,350 to be performed in FY23 for an Organizational Review and Staffing Level Study – Managing Results, LLC. The balance of the awarded contract will occur in FY24.
· Unanimously approved an award of contract for annual engineering services contracts.
· Unanimously approved an appropriation in the amount of $88,052.38 for Virginia Public School Authority Bond Series 2021 accumulated interest to County-Wide CIP Fund, New Elementary School Project Budget.
· Unanimously approved an award of contract for County Fiber Upgrades Net100 in the amount of $213,796.84 and a budget transfer from ARPA Contingency Account for $235,177 to cover award plus ten percent contingency.
· Unanimously approved an award of contract for additional services for the evaluation, design, permitting and construction administration of the Temple Avenue Water Storage Tank and Pumping Station in the amount of $118,000.
· Unanimously approved an authority to advertise an Ordinance to Amend “The Code of the County of Prince George, Virginia,” as amended, by amending §74-5 relating to authorizing the Treasurer to approve refunds up to ten thousand dollars without the approval of the Board of Supervisors in accordance with Virginia Code Section 58.1-3981(A).
· Held a public hearing and approved a Special Exception request of Vonda Capria to permit the rental of rooms not to exceed four, including bed and board, within a R-A (Residential Agricultural) Zoning District.
· Held a public hearing and unanimously approved a rezoning request of SL Well Station Road LLC to conditionally rezone 880.4 acres from I-2 General Industrial District to M-2 General Industrial District.