October 2021 Message from the County Administrator
Message from the County Administrator
This message is a monthly update in 2021 to better inform our citizens and visitors to our website. The information serves as a status report for ongoing projects, and also serves as a preview to different happenings that are in the planning stages.
County Government offices will be closed Monday, October 11 in observance of the Columbus Day holiday. Offices will reopen at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, October 12.
Prince George County will recognize Trick-or-Treat activities thorough out County neighborhoods from 5:30 – 8:30 p.m. on Sunday, October 31. Small children must be accompanied by an adult.
The fall version of Clean Community Day will be held from 8 a.m. – 1 p.m. Saturday, October 16 in the Prince George Police Department parking lot.
An Open House will be held from 11 a.m. – 2 p .m. Saturday, October 30 at the Central Wellness Center. The public is encouraged to visit the facility and see the renovations and receive giveaways, demonstrations and information.
Residents seeking COVID-19 vaccine appointments should call (877) 829-4682 or click on https://vaccinate.virginia.gov/.
The Prince George Food Bank at the Central Wellness Center is open Tuesdays & Fridays from 10 a.m. – 12:00 Noon.
The Prince George Farmers Market is open every Saturday in October from 8 a.m. – 12:00 Noon at Scott Park.
November 2 General Election Information
- Last day to register to vote is Tuesday, October 12.
- Last day to request Absentee Ballot in the mail for the November General Election is Friday, October 22.
- In-person voting continues Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. in the Office of the Voter Registrar.
- Special Saturday in-person voting hours are October 23 & 30 from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. in the Office of the Voter Registrar.
The Board of Supervisors will hold a special Worksession at 4 p.m., Wednesday, October 20 in the Boardroom to discuss the following items: (1) Roof repairs at the Old Courthouse; (2) Veterans Memorial; (3) Capital Improvement Plan Proposal; (4) Discussion of a new convenience site; and (5) Side room renovation at the Central Wellness Center.
The Board of Supervisors will hold its regular meetings this month on Tuesday, October 12 and Tuesday, October 26 in the Boardroom. The meetings will begin at 7 p.m.
A Worksession will precede the October 12 BOS meeting at 6 p.m. to discuss the following items: (1) Actions of the General Assembly; and (2) Waiving of fees policy.
A Worksession will precede the October 26 BOS meeting at 6 p.m. to discuss the following item: (1) Recap of the 2021 Farmers Market.
Meetings and Worksessions in the Boardroom will be live streamed at https://www.princegeorgecountyva.gov/live_stream/index.php
Meetings and Worksessions will also have a Zoom link established for citizens to watch and participate. The link for the BOS meetings is as follows: https://zoom.us/j/5053851421?pwd=V2pjSHFneFRLUUE2bjNqQnR3emZoUT09
Friends of Burrowsville School will hold a Fall Plant Sale from 8 a.m. – 12:00 Noon Saturday, October 2 at the Burrowsville Community Center.
The Prince George Master Gardeners will hold its Annual Fall Plant sale from 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Saturday, October 2 at the Heritage Center.
“Shred Day & Food Drive” Saturday, October 2 from 9 a.m. – 12:00 Noon at the Fort Lee Credit Union Parking Lot.
A “Field Hockey Play Day” will be held Saturday, October 2 at Temple Park.
A Pet Adoption will be held Saturday, October 2 from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. at the Prince George Animal Services Center.
A USSSA Softball Tournament will be held October 16-17 at the Moore Sports Complex.
Delegate Emily Brewer will host a “Mobile Veteran Resource Center” from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. Tuesday, October 19 at the Disputanta Community Center.
The Prince George Industrial Development Authority (IDA) will meet at 12:00 Noon Wednesday, October 20 in the Boardroom.
Prince George School Board meets Monday, October 4 at 6:30 p.m. in the Boardroom.
Riverside Criminal Justice Board will meet at 4 p.m. Wednesday, October 6 at Surry County.
Property Owners at Exit 45 will meet with consultants from 3-4:30 p.m. Thursday, October 7 at the Holiday Inn Express.
The Hopewell-Prince George Crime Solvers will hold its “Annual Rib Fest” from 4-7 p.m. Thursday, October 7 at Scott Park.
Friends of John Randolph Foundation will hold a reception from 3-5 p.m. Sunday, October 10 at Weston Manor in Hopewell.
Rowanty Technical School will hold an Open House from 5-7 p.m. Wednesday, October 13.
Virginia Gateway Region will hold a “Downtown Strategies Workshop” from 5-7 p.m. Wednesday, October 13 at Guncotton Coffee in Hopewell.
A community meeting will be held Wednesday, October 13 in the Boardroom to receive public input on the new Chappell Creek subdivision along Route 10.
A recognition ceremony for the inductees of the Prince George High School Hall of Fame will be held beginning at 5:30 p.m. Saturday, October 16 in the Commons at PGHS. Tickets are on sale for $35.
The James River Soil & Water Conservation District Board of Directors will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, October 21 in the Community Room of the Human Services Building.
The Prince George Fire & EMS Advisory Board will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday, October 21 at 7 p.m. in the Boardroom.
Parks & Recreation will host its “Fall Festival” from 5-8 p.m. at Temple Park.
A Men’s Slo-Pitch Softball Tournament will be held at October 23-24 at the Moore Sports Complex.
A “Walk to Defeat ALS” will be held beginning at 10 a.m. Saturday, October 23 at Brown’s Island in Richmond.
Jordan on the James Property Owners Association will hold a “Night Out’ at 5 p.m. Monday, October 25 on Lots 41 & 42.
The Prince George Planning Commission will meet at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, October 28 in the Boardroom.
A USSSA Baseball Tournament will be held October 30-31 at the Moore Sports Complex.
Here is a capsule glance of other activities that will be happening within County government during the month of October:
- The Board of Supervisors at its October 12 meeting will hold two (2) public hearings: (1) Transient Occupancy Tax; and (2) State-funded bonus for sworn Sheriff’s Office positions and unfunded Sheriff’s Office positions.
- The Board of Supervisors at its October 12 meeting will receive the monthly VDOT report.
- The Board of Supervisors at its October 12 meeting will consider a postponed item related to an appointment to the Social Services Advisory Board.
- The Board of Supervisors at its October 12 meeting will consider an appointment to the Board of Zoning Appeals.
- The Board of Supervisors at its October 26 meeting will consider appointments to the Youth Task Force.
(All items listed for consideration by the Board of Supervisors are tentative)
Here is a capsule glance of other activities that will be happening within County government during the month of October
- The Route 460 water main extension is 95 percent complete; and the Route 156 water main extension is 43 percent complete.
- Scopes of work are being developed for the Prince George Volunteer Fire Station; Circuit Courtroom in the County Courthouse; Electrical system at the Emergency Crew Building; repairs to the Heritage Center; and expansion of the Fleet Garage.
- Inter-governmental discussions on topics of general interest will continue among Prince George, Surry and Sussex counties.
- Parks & Recreation will continue fall sports this month and begin registration for winter sports.
- Staff consultants are gathering information to make recommendations on the future of Exit 45 along I-95.
- Staff will interview this month consultants interested in developing an overall strategic plan for Prince George County.
- Staff will continue to address water and stormwater issues at Cedarwood and Baxter Ridge subdivisions.
- Staff will begin to analyze the wastewater solution approved by the BOS at its September 28 meeting.