Catalytic Converter Thefts
July 22, 2021
(Prince George, VA) – Catalytic Converter Thefts
Prince George County is experiencing ongoing criminal activity directly related to the theft of catalytic converters - our latest theft was reported yesterday. These converters contain valuable metals that can be recycled for cash. Most of the vehicles being targeted in the County are older model Ford and Chevy products, but other vehicles are vulnerable as these thefts are mostly crimes of opportunity. Catalytic converters are an exhaust emission control device that is located on the underside of cars and trucks; this device is situated between the engine and the muffler.
Converter theft is a nationwide trend, but you can take steps to defend your property from this crime. Consider the following mitigating factors:
- If possible, park your vehicle inside a locked structure.
- Park your vehicle in a well-lit area, near motion lights, or near cameras that will alert you.
- If you have a car alarm, make sure it will audible activate with motion.
- Place a unique identifiable mark on your converter.
- Install an anti-theft device on your converter.
- Contact your insurance company and verify that you are covered for this type of theft.
- Be alert for unusual noises, especially power tools, at any time but especially at night. A thief with a lithium powered sawzall can remove a converter in under two minutes.
Any information related to these thefts can be reported to the Prince George Police Department at (804) 733-2773 or Crime Solvers at 733-2777. You can also remain anonymous by using our P3tips app. As always, we encourage any observed, suspicious activity to be reported immediately. We need your help to locate and arrest these criminals!
Media Contact: Officer Alexis Grochmal
Public Information Officer (804) 720-3424 email:firstname.lastname@example.org