Recap of July 13 BOS Meeting
July 13 Meeting Recap
BOS Recognize Eight Officers for Their Heroic Efforts
On May 24 2021, Officers John Kuykendall, Kelly Borshch, Blake Bryant, Danny Byrum, Cain Allin, Tony Martin, Charles Leftwich, and Animal Control Officer Dana Newmeyer responded to the 5300 block of Courthouse Road for the report of a single vehicle accident with entrapment and fire. These officers took turns approaching the burning vehicle utilizing their fire extinguishers to put out the fire on the passenger’s legs and slow the fire enough to extract him from under the vehicle. They then took turns carrying the passenger up the embankment which was still burning around them. Once the Officers were able to get the passenger to the road, they moved him a safe distance from the fire and provided first aid to him and the female driver. The Driver was transported to Southside Regional Medical Center and the passenger was transported by Med-Fight to MCV. All officers involved sustained minor burns and singed hair. Were it not for the quick actions of these officers, the vehicle driver and especially the passenger would have perished in the vehicle fire. All Officers involved did not hesitate to put themselves into harm’s way to save the lives of these citizens.
The Board at its July 13 meeting commended all eight officers for their heroic life-saving efforts. Chairman Brown stated that “as Chairman of the Board, he is proud to be here in Prince George County because we have the finest.”
Other matters that came before the BOS at its meeting and work session:
- Discussion and approval of the changes to drugs & intoxicants personnel policy.
- Discussion on Board priorities for the American Rescue Act funding.
- Approved on consent and presented a commendation to Prince George County Law Enforcement for their life saving effort on May 24, 2021.
- Approved on consent and presented a proclamation for Pretrial, Probation, and Parole Supervision Week – July 18-24, 2021.
- Approved on consent a resolution of acceptance of Section 33.2-705 – land development additions into Virginia Department of Transportation/Secondary System of Roads Maintenance.
- Approved on consent a resolution for acceptance of a development Stormwater Management Agreement – Eagle Preserve Sections 1, 2 and 3 between the County of Prince George and VDOT.
- Approved on consent a resolution authorizing the County’s outside counsel to vote on the County’s behalf to support the proposed Purdue Pharma Bankruptcy Plan.
- Received a roads maintenance report from the Virginia Department of Transportation.
- Received a report on the Dixie World Series.
- Unanimously appointed Amanda Binford to the Appomattox Regional Library Board.
- Unanimously approved a resolution to amend the Board of Supervisors By-Laws.
- Unanimously approved a change order for HVAC work and roof repairs at the Central Wellness Center.
- Unanimously awarded a contract for design of a waterline extension to the Route 10 corridor in the amount of $149,500.
- Unanimously approved a resolution to retroactively repeal the declaration of local emergency due to the outbreak of COVID-19.
- Discussed and had no negative comments regarding VA ABC License application notice from Wilson Food Mart.
- Unanimously approved an authority to advertise an ordinance to amend The Code of the County of Prince George to change Fire and EMS Director to Fire and EMS Chief.
- Unanimously approved a resolution to establish Senior Citizen Task Force By-Laws.
- Unanimously approved a resolution dedicating an easement of right of way to Prince George Electric Cooperative.
- Discussed the Six-Month Work Plan.
- Unanimously approved a resolution with proposed revisions to the Prince George County Personnel Policies; Section 24-1 Through 24.23 Entitled Leave, Section 7.1 Through 7.5 Entitled Medical Examinations, Section 22.1 Through 22.5 Entitled Overtime, Section 14.1 Entitled Promotion and Section 17.1 Entitled Temporary Acting Positions.
- Unanimously postponed appointments to the CIP Committee to August 10.
- Unanimously appointed Ronald Recher to the Senior Citizen Task Force.
- Unanimously postponed appointments to the Youth Task Force.
- Discussed and had no negative comments regarding VA ABC License application notice from 7 Eleven Inc.
- Discussed and had no negative comments regarding VA ABC License application notice from Holy Mackerel.
- Held a public hearing and unanimously approved an Ordinance to Amend “The Code of the County of Prince George, Virginia”, 2005, as Amended, by Amending § 6-17 to Allow the Board of Zoning Appeals to Grant a Special Exception for a Private Animal Boarding Place, Defined as Keeping More Than Three Dogs Over Four Months Old, on Parcels of an Acre or Less in Size in Designated Zoning Districts.
- Held a public hearing and unanimously approved a SPECIAL EXCEPTION request of Christopher and Marisela Clark to permit an Assembly Hall and a Cottage industry home occupation within a R-A, Residential Agricultural District, for the purpose of hosting indoor/outdoor events and the rental of rooms not to exceed four, including bed and board.
- Held a public hearing and unanimously approved an Emergency Ordinance to Amend “The Code of the County of Prince George, Virginia”, 2005, as Amended, by Amending § 2-731 to State that Effective September 1, 2021 when the County Treasurer or County Departments Accepts a Payment by Credit or Debit Card, the County Treasurer and County Departments Shall Add a Sum Not to Exceed the Amount Charged to the County for Processing the Credit or Debit Card Payment.