Recap of February 23 BOS Meeting
February 23 Meeting Recap
Auxiliary Officer Raleigh Field
The Board of Supervisors at its February 23 meeting took a moment from County business to approve and present a commendation to Auxiliary Officer Raleigh Field for his life saving efforts on January 19, 2021. Before any responding Officers could arrive on the scene of an automobile accident, Off-Duty Auxiliary Officer Field came upon the accident on his way to work. Officer Field pulled over and quickly contacted ECC for Fire and EMS to respond. He then ran over to the driver’s side door of the vehicle to check on the driver. After noticing the victim’s injuries from this crash, Officer Field put his own safety at risk and pried the damaged door open and removed the driver from the vehicle as he could see the vehicle was showing signs it was about to catch fire. Within seconds of pulling the driver to safety, the vehicle caught fire and quickly became fully engulfed in flames. The driver survived the crash and was transported to Southside Regional Medical Center for her injuries by Prince George Fire and EMS.
Chairman Brown stated that this story touched his heart and made him very emotional knowing that what Auxiliary Officer Field did made the difference of that young lady being alive today. The Board agreed that it was very commendable and honorable.
Other matters to come before the BOS at its meeting:
· Approved on consent and presented a commendation to Eagle Scout Christopher Bryan Ganoe.
· Approved on consent and presented a commendation to Eagle Scout Kevin Meza.
· Approved on consent and presented a commendation to Auxiliary Officer Raleigh Field for his life saving efforts.
· Approved on consent a Proclamation for Benefit Programs Specialist Appreciation Month for February, 2021.
· Approved on consent a resolution confirming Declaration of Local Emergency due to winter storm.
· Received a Utilities projects update.
· Received a report on the CARES Municipal Utility Relief Program.
· Received a Property Maintenance report.
· Received an update on the Central Wellness Center.
· Received a report on the procurement for towing County vehicles.
· Discussed the 2020 Department Annual Reports.
· Unanimously approved an appropriation in the amount of $131,678.22 for School DODEA S-Class 1 Grant Funds.
· Unanimously approved a resolution to reduce General Fund transfer to Debt Fund from Bond Refunding Savings and increase General Fund Contingency in the amount of $320,000 and approve use of a portion of savings for various Capital Purchases and Projects, and award of contract to Assetworks LLC.
· Unanimously approved an appropriation of debt proceeds for School Capital Projects and related reimbursement resolution in the amount of $591,220.
· Unanimously authorized the execution of agreements between Grover Gaming, Inc. and the Prince George Volunteer Fire Department (Company One) for electronic Bingo.
· Discussed and had no negative comments regarding VA ABC License application notice from Jordan Point Marina.
· Unanimously authorized the advertisement of a public hearing for March 23 regarding the proposed authorization of the issuance of Virginia Public School Authority Bonds in the maximum principal amount not to exceed $__________ to finance the acquisition, construction and equipping of the New Walton Elementary School.