The Prince George County Board of Supervisors at its December 8 meeting held a public hearing and approved a budget amendment appropriating $4,150,000 of debt proceeds toward the new Walton Elementary School. Planning for the new school is underway and construction is included as an approved Capital Improvement Project for FY2021 and as part of the adopted FY2021 budget. To date, $1,000,000 has been appropriated for the new school and incurred costs will soon exceed that amount. A Spring 2021 borrowing is planned to accommodate this project less fund balance appropriations already made. Appropriation of future debt proceeds totaling $4,150,000 will satisfy cash/financial needs for the project through June 30, 2021. The total estimated cost of the new school is $32,954,151, plus an estimated $1,700,000 for road and sewer improvements. The project should be complete and open for the new school year in 2022.
Other matters to come before the BOS at its worksession & meeting:
· Received a Comprehensive Plan update.
· Received a report on utilities expansions in the Planning Area.
· Received a report on growth areas and trends/lot sizes.
· Approved on consent a resolution accepting utility easement for Route 156 water line extension.
· Approved on consent an appropriation in the amount of $8,165.96 for insurance recoveries for Police vehicle repair.
· Approved on consent an appropriation in the amount of $8,461 for State Litter Control Grant.
· Approved on consent an authority to retroactively advertise a public hearing for an ordinance clarifying the certification process for tax relief for a vehicle owned or leased by a Volunteer Rescue Squad Member or Volunteer Fire Department Member.
· Received a road maintenance report from the Virginia Department of Transportation.
· Received the FY2020 Audit report.
· Received a CARES Funding report.
· Received a report on the security camera proposal.
· Received a report on entrance upgrades to Fire and EMS facilities.
· Unanimously postponed to January 26 the advertisement of a public hearing to consider adoption of an ordinance to revise the location of a polling place with the Courts Building election district from main floor of Courts Building to Gregory Memorial Presbyterian Church.
· Unanimously postponed to March 9 a resolution accepting a land exchange agreement between the County and James R. Jones.
· Unanimously authorized Emergency Management (Fire/EMS) to complete and submit a Virginia Department of Emergency Management emergency management performance supplemental grant and appropriation of anticipated grant funds if awarded.
· Unanimously authorized the advertisement of a public hearing for a School carryover in the amount of $1,877,886.32.
· Unanimously postponed to January 26, 2021 two appointments to the Prince George Planning Commission.
· Unanimously reappointed Mr. Peter Clements to the Virginia Gateway Region.
· Unanimously recommended Mr. Henry Geiz, Jr., Ms. Elizabeth Abernathy, and Mr. Raymond Everett for reappointment to the Board of Equalization of Assessments.
· Unanimously approved an appropriation in the amount of $108,469.39 for COVID-19 Municipal Relief Funds.
· Held a public hearing and unanimously approved a budget amendment and appropriation in the amount of $4,150,000 of debt proceeds toward new Walton Elementary School.
· Held a public hearing and unanimously approved a lease agreement for use of a portion of Burrowsville School between Prince George County and Friends of Burrowsville School, Inc.