State Funds Bonus for Full-Time Sworn Sheriff’s Office Personnel; BOS Approves Amendment to the Budget
Following the 2020 General Assembly Special Session, a Budget Amendment was approved to provide funding for a one-time $500 bonus payment effective December 1, 2020 for Compensation Board funded sworn positions in Sheriffs’ offices and regional jails, including Sheriffs, Sheriffs’ Deputies, Regional Jail Superintendents and Corrections Officers in regional jails.
At its November 24 meeting, the Board of Supervisors held a public hearing and unanimously approved an ordinance authorizing Staff to provide a one-time State funded bonus for Compensation Board funded full-time sworn Sheriff’s Office actively employed on December 1, 2020 and approved a resolution to amend the FY2021 budget to increase Compensation Board revenues and increase expenditures for the one-time bonus.
Other matters to come before the BOS at its worksession & meeting:
· Approved on consent a proclamation for Small Business Saturday on November 28, 2020.
· Approved on consent an appropriation in the amount of $24,093.54 for insurance recoveries for Fire Company 1 lightning damage.
· Approved on consent authority to make expenditures for required E-9-1-1 System upgrades and seek reimbursement from the Commonwealth of Virginia in the amount of $5,490 for Conduit Path installation.
· Approved on consent an appropriation in the amount of $190,866.20 for School CARES Act State Governor’s Emergency Education Relief (GEER) set-aside award.
· Received an update on CARES Funding.
· Received a report on Suez AMI Radio Read Meters.
· Received a report on air purification for buildings.
· Received a report on renovation to the Central Wellness Center.
· Unanimously authorized the Department of Economic Development to partner with Virginia Gateway Region to complete and submit a Go Virginia Grant Application for VEDP Industrial Site Tier Classification Studies.
· Unanimously authorized the advertisement of a public hearing to accept a lease between Prince George County and Friends of Burrowsville School, Inc.
· Unanimously authorized the issuance of the County of Prince George, Virginia General Obligation Refunding Bonds Series 2020 (tax-exempt).
· Unanimously gave authority to make expenditures for required Hydrodynamic Modeling in the amount of $80,085 to be performed by the Virginia Institute of Marine Science.
· Unanimously authorized the advertisement of a public hearing for the appropriation of future debt proceeds of $4,150,000 in FY2021 for architectural and engineering fees and constructions costs for new Walton Elementary School.
· Unanimously gave authority to make expenditures for necessary Garysville Tower remediation as part of the public safety radio system replacement in the amount of $23,868.99.
· Unanimously authorized the advertisement of a public hearing for an Ordinance to Amend ‘The Code of the County of Prince George, Virginia’, 2005, as amended, by amending Section 74-432 to clarify the certification process for tax relief for a vehicle owned or leased by a volunteer rescue squad member or volunteer fire department member.
· Discussed and agreed on a budget work session date of December 16 at 5:00 p.m.
· Discussed and had no negative comments regarding VA ABC License application notice from Prince George Dairy Foodmart.
· Unanimously approved hazard pay to poll workers using CARES Registrar Funding.
· Unanimously authorized the Director of Utilities to complete and submit an application to the Virginia State Corporation Commission for COVID-19 Municipal Utility Relief Program funds and undertake all reasonable efforts and required processes to request, receive and apply awarded funds.