August 11 Meeting Recap
BOS Adopts Solar Energy Facility Siting Policy
The Board of Supervisors at its August 11 meeting adopted the Solar Energy Facility Siting Policy. The Planning Commission and Staff recommended the adoption of a Solar Energy Facility Siting Policy to provide guidance to property owners, business owners, and County residents with the acceptance of Special Exception applications for Solar Energy Facilities. The policy will also give guidance to Staff, the Planning Commission, and the Board of Supervisors when evaluating requests for solar energy facilities.
The Board unanimously agreed to delay the adoption of such policy at its March 10 meeting to allow public input to the policy for future planned or proposed solar projects. The Board held a community meeting on June 30 to hear input from citizens both against and in support of the policy. After compiling those comments and suggestions, Staff recommended to the Board to increase setbacks, screening requirements and buffering requirements. In addition, construction hours and complaint procedures were revised. The Board agreed to give the policy a test run by establishing an upper limit on the total acreage of approved facilities of 2.74%. This will include already approved projects and those that have already been proposed, if approved.
Other matters to come before the BOS at its worksession & meeting:
- Received a report on an ordinance regarding possession of hens on property.
- Discussed a security camera system.
- Discussed relocating a voting precinct in District 2 from the Courthouse to Gregory Memorial Presbyterian Church.
- Approved on consent and presented a commendation to Deputy Joseph G. Curry for his service to Prince George County.
- Approved on consent and presented a commendation to Police Officer John “Butch” Pearson for his service to Prince George County.
- Approved on consent a resolution accepting Cedarwood Section Two-Extension Route 1040, New Route 1039, Route 1043 & Route 1044 into Virginia Department of Transportation/Secondary System of Roads Maintenance.
- Approved on consent and presented a commendation to Mr. Thomas Winfield for his actions on saving his neighbor’s home on July 25, 2020.
- Received a road maintenance report from the Virginia Department of Transportation.
- Discussed Public School Division request to change accounting for sales tax revenue.
- Received a report on the Department of Labor workplace regulations.
- Received a report on CARES funding.
- Received a report on the issuance of DEQ permit giving the County assurance that the regulating agencies would approve the discharge of the treated wastewater into the Blackwater Swamp should the Board decide that a treatment plant is the best option.
- Unanimously agreed to defer on an award of contract and appropriation from debt proceeds in the amount of $212,645 for architectural and engineering services for the County garage expansion.
- Unanimously approved an appropriation in the amount of $400,000 for public safety and County vehicles purchases.
- Unanimously approved an award of contract for $249,813.20 and appropriations from debt proceeds and Cameron Foundation and John Randolph Foundation Grants in the amount of $218,207 for Fire and EMS Zoll Monitor purchases and a budget transfer from SNAP investment interest in the amount of $31,606.20.
- Unanimously approved a re-appropriation in the amount of $2,734,039.08 in outstanding June 30, 2020 encumbrances and purchase orders.
- Unanimously authorized to make expenditures for required E-9-1-1 System upgrades and seek reimbursement from the Commonwealth of Virginia in the amount of $32,569 for VESTA phone upgrade and conduit path installation.
- Unanimously approved a resolution authorizing the advertisement of a public hearing for the appropriation of $3,346,151 in Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act of 2020 Coronavirus Relief Funds to a new special revenue fund (budget amendment).
- Unanimously approved a resolution authorizing the execution of a second amendment to Verizon Tower Lease Agreement (Burrowsville).
- Unanimously approved a resolution authorizing the advertisement of a public hearing for an easement between Prince George County and Mid-Atlantic Broadband Communities Corporation to construct and operate a telecommunications facility at 8200 Quality Drive.
- Discussed and had no negative comments regarding VA ABC License application notice from Holy Mackerel.
- Unanimously approved a resolution authorizing the advertisement of a public hearing on September 1, 2020 to consider adoption of an ordinance to amend The Code of the County of Prince George to revise the location of a polling place within the Courts building election district from Main Floor of Court Building, 6001 Courts Drive to Gregory Memorial Presbyterian Church, 6300 Courthouse Road.
- Unanimously reappointed Mr. T.J. Webb, Mr. Don Vtipil, Mr. Larry Barnett, and Mr. Andy Petik to the CIP Committee.
- Unanimously reappointed Ms. Kim Wilson to the Social Services Advisory Board.
- Held a public hearing and unanimously approved an ordinance to amend The Code of Prince George regarding requirements for mobile food units and provide requirements for the permitting and operation of mobile food units in permitted districts of the County.
- Held a public hearing and unanimously approved an appropriation of up to $1,300,000 to the Capital Projects Fund (Budget Amendment).