Senior Nutrition Program
Help for Low-Income Seniors
How It WorksYou must complete an application each year to determine if you are eligible to participate in the program. Participation is limited and applications are accepted on a first come-first served basis.
Not all localities within the area served by your local Area Agency on Aging may be eligible to participate in the program. Currently, Prince George Market, River Street Market and the City of Emporia are the closest markets that have farmers participating.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
If all of the statements below are true, then you may be eligible to participate.
1. You are 60 years of age or older
2. You are a resident of a locality that participates in the program (Prince George County Resident)
3. You do not live in the same household and you are not an immediate family member of the farmer who grows the produce.
4. You meet the program's income requirements. You must self-declare your household income on the application.
What IS PROVIDED?
- If your application is approved, you will receive $50.00 worth of checks per eligible senior for that growing season.
- Each check is worth $5.00 and may be used to purchase fresh, locally grown fruit, vegetables, and cut herbs from participating certified retail farmers market vendors. Please note: change cannot be given if the entire $5 is not used.
- Certified retail farmers market vendors will accept checks for fresh locally grown fruit and vegetables in season, depending on the produce items available.
ITEMS NOT ELIGIBLE
- produce that is not locally grown such as oranges, bananas, and pineapples
- processed foods such as honey, syrup, cider, nuts, meat, bread, and cheese
- non-food items such as flowers and plants are NOT eligible
- dried herbs and teas
APPLICATION & MORE INFORMATION
Click here for the application.
Click here for the fact sheet.